Tales of a novice gardener in Norwood, London

Monday, July 24, 2006

More courgettes, sugar snaps and French beans

On the harvesting front, I've had a couple more courgettes. The most recent one was huge and is sitting in the fridge ready to be eaten tonight. Unfortunately, one of the plants appears to be dying off now, although there's one more courgette that's getting bigger. The other plant has two courgettes on but something has tried to eat them so not sure if they will survive.

I've now harvested all my sugar snaps and frozen the ones I couldn't eat. I had a pretty big crop and hoping that the frozen ones will keep okay. I pulled up the plants so that I can get to my dwarf French beans more easily. Have harvested some of the beans already and they were yummy but hopefully plenty more to come yet.

It's nearly time to pull up my Charlotte potatoes (will prob do it on Wed night) and harvest the first of my tomato crop. I noticed that a few toms were ripening nicely over the weekend. Both my Gardener's Delight and Brandywine are thriving and I've had no problems so far with bugs, touch wood. Have been feeding every few days with New Horizon organic tomato feed and spraying intermittently with Growing Success bug killer (also organic). Will definitely be trying some more mediterranean varieties of tom next year as even the indoor variety I've grown has been thriving outside in my thriving garden.

My squash plants are coming on a treat but are taking over the garden. In an attempt to get them under control yesterday, I wound the stalks around each other, but I don't think it will last. On the plus side, I already have two buttercup squashes coming on strong, with some more female flowers just waiting to be pollinated. They look amazing so am hoping all goes according to plan and they survive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home