Tales of a novice gardener in Norwood, London

Friday, April 28, 2006

Tomatoes coming on...

Returned from a trip up north on Monday to find that the tomatoes that were still in a seed bed had grown to about twice the size they were on Friday. They were looking great so thought I'd better get them transplanted into pots asap. My pots are all different sizes (just ones I had lying around the shed) so some of them will need transplanting once more when they get bigger. According to a tip on the Grapevine, you should allow a 10 litre pot per plant. Off to the garden centre again methinks.

Anyway, I repotted them all (about 9 in total, all Gardener's Delight) and put the largest ones in the greenhouse and the rest on the windowsill in the lounge. A few days later, they all seem to be doing okay, although taking some time to get used to their new location.

Also, thinned out my basil, which has also grown loads. I now have three plants and the two transplants have settled well into their new home. May do some more from the original pot as there are still quite a few plants in there.

Jobs for the May Day Bank Holiday weekend are lots more sewings (more carrots, parsnips, nigella, broccoli and cabbage and probably some squash and sugar snaps). Also need to get my wigwams ready for my peas and beans. Unfortunately, my sweet peas haven't even germinated yet - two different types, so hoping they aren't duds. Am hoping to grow these alongside my peas and beans. The beans aren't exactly racing either but at least a few of these have germinated.

On the flowering side of things, all my tulips are out - Red Riding Hood, very pretty and my Clematis Avalanche has finally started to flower and is looking great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home