Tales of a novice gardener in Norwood, London

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Seedling crisis

Aggghhh...the tomato seedlings I pricked out the other night are dying on me. Is it because I put them in a polythene bad rather than a propogator lid? Maybe it's because I put them in a different room (although the room faces the same way - SE). Maybe they didn't like the disruption. Anyway, I'm desperately trying to save them. Fortunately, I've got loads more seedlings and some more waiting to germinate, but I want to know what I've done wrong to avoid ruining the rest.

I've got 20 seedlings pricked out (Brandywine and Gardener's Delight) and I may be able to save some yet as they haven't all shrivelled up. I've now put them back in the original room they were in and put a proper propagator lid on them. They didn't look any worse when I checked them this morning so maybe there is hope yet.

Unfortunately, I only have four propogator lids so I've had to the tray that contains my herb pots into the polythene that I had used for the tomatoes, at least until I can get to the garden centre. It doesn't seem to have harmed them though yet and, in fact, this morning I noticed that my basil has started to germinate.

I suspect the problem with the toms was down to putting them into a the lounge (the lounge is bigger but is centrally heated whereas the bedroom I was originally using is small but not heated). I'm going to try sewing my next batch of tomatoes (Tumblers) straight into pots so I don't have to move them until they are much bigger and stronger. Maybe the problem is partly too much root disturbance early on.

I will post back when I have some more news on the tomato front!

I also have a bit of a mushroom problem in that some funghi are growing amongst my tomato seedlings (not the ones I pricked out) and my pepper seedlings. Will post on Grapevine (Grow your own) forum to find out why this is happening (too damp?) and if I should remove them. Bit worried about the pepper too - only three seedlings, one with an iffy looking head, and no sign of any more showing through.

--------------


I've just had some feedback on this. It seems that the funghi is caused by my propogators being too warm. I need to remove the lids and take the funghi out but it should be okay as long as it isn't touching the seedlings.

Re the problem with my transplanted seedlings - I have confirmed that the seedlings do have 'seed leaves'. However, it's okay to tranplant toms that have seed leaves. It may just be that they are taking their time getting used to their new position. I won't panic yet then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home